Linda’s Lemon Ginger Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, chilled
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Juice of one lemon (reserve 2 teaspoons for glaze)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoon (reserved) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into ½ inch cubes and distribute over the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (a KitchenAid mixture with a paddle can also be used).
- In a small bowl, stir together the half and half, egg, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ginger. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix gently until combined.
- Use a small 2 to 3 ounces ice cream scoop to place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool. If desired, finish with lemon glaze.
Mix confectioners’ sugar, water, and lemon juice in a bowl.
Drizzle on the scones.
Makes: 9 to 12 scones
Total Time: 30 – 40 minutes
About the Chef
Chef’s Name: Linda Endquist
Family: Spouse – Lisa
Community: Carlsbad Village
Hobbies/ Interests: Yoga, hiking, nature, foodie excursions, learning to surf
Favorite Local Activity: San Diego craft beer tastings, walking the Carlsbad sea wall
About the Recipe: I’ve always loved the simple things. Summer is here, and I wanted to share this refreshing and uncomplicated treat with Carlsbad Danish Bakery customers and local residents.
About the Chef: I was originally a chef in the hotel and restaurants scene. I fell in love with baking along the way and never looked back. I currently enjoy baking for the greater Carlsbad community as a chef at the Carlsbad Danish Bakery, a family owned and operated full service retail bakery. For more information about the bakery or to view other delicious treats visit www.carlsbaddanish.com.